Message and Purpose of Jesus’ parables
· “The parables are a fragment of the original rock of tradition” Jeremias.
· Parables “tease the mind into active thought” C H Dodd.
· To help us understand the KoG- “the mode of communicating his message and the quality of that entity to which he refers” CC Rowland.
· Polyvalence- there is no one correct way of interpreting parables.
· Simplicity- Jesus probably intended the parables to be clear and accessible.
· Mark presents parables of as a code that only Jesus’ followers understand in his intercalation between the Parable of the Sower and its interpretation, “to those on the outside everything is said in parables so that “they may be ever seeing but never perceiving”” MK 4:9-12.
· According to MK…