The Solar System
- 8 planets orbit the sun.
- There are other things such as dwarf planets, comets and dust.
- Some planets are visable with the naked eye.
- Stars are huge, very hot and very far away.
- Planets are smaller than stars and just reflect sunlight.
- The solar system was formed about 5,000 million years ago from dust and gas.
- Particles began to collapsed in together as they moved closer together gravity keept them together.
- This collapse caused a protostar.
- This protostar when at a high enough temperature would perform a process called fusion, having hydrogen nuclei join together to make helium.
- Asteroids and comets are made of stuff left over the formation of the Solar System.
- Comets are made of rock, dust and ice.