Purpose Order Design
- The universe was pre-existent
- A being existed in the universe that had the power to shape world
- A DEMI-URGE
- This demi-urge ordered the world but did not create the materials
- The only explaination for the complexity and beauty of the universe is that it was created by a divine intelligence.
Aquinas; Fifth Way
- Something that lacks intelligence cannot move towards fufilling it's useful purpose (TELOS)
- An intelligent being has to influence it towards fufilling it's TELOS
- Arrow + archer = fufilled purpose
- Everything in the universe follows certain natural laws which mean that there must be an intelligent being guiding them: God
Paley; The Watchmaker
- If we were to find a watch, we would assume that it had a creator as it has such complexities and beauty, and we can assume the same of the universe.
- Even if the watch didn't work or we didn't know what it was for, we would still assume there is a creator.
- Que = by virtue of
- "Design qua purpose" - God as a designer created everything with a purpose, and also with the capabilities of achieving its purpose.
- "Design qua regularity" - a guiding intelligence must have created the universe to give the universe the regularity of motion that it has, EG the stars and planets.
- Weak form:- "we must be prepared to take into account the fact that our location in the universe is necessarily privileged to the extent of being compatible with our existence as observers"
- We must accept that the universe is here by design and not by chance
- Strong form:- "The Universe (and hence the fundamental parameters on which it depends) must be such as to admit the creation of observers within it at some stage"
- The universe was created to develop intelligent life
- Fredrick Tennant;
- 1) The fact that our universe provides everything necessary for life
- 2) Our world can be observed and holds…
Similar Religious Studies resources: