"Outline and Evaluate the Cognitive Approach in Psychology" 16 mark essay plan
- Focuses on the examination of mental process
- E.g. perception, memory, attention, consciousness
- Processes are internal so they cant be studied directly
- Their operation must be inferred from the observation and measurement of human behaviour
- Cognitive scientists use theoretical models.
- These models represent complex, conceptual processes so that their components can be better understood.
- e.g. the multi-store memory model - presents a picture of memory based on an information-processing analogy.
- Theoretical models also provide a basis for research
- Schema theory emphasises hpw perception and memory are shaped by cognitive frameworks, built from expericence that organise and interpret information in the brain.
- They allow us to make sense of an ambiguous world by 'filling gaps' in our knowledge
- This enables us to act comfortably even when our knowledge is incomplete