- Created by: chloeculley
- Created on: 05-11-18 14:14
Act One Scene One
- Iago is furious with Othello that Cassio was promoted not himself.
- Iago’s hit list includes Othello Cassio and Desdemona
- Iago tells Brabantio about Othello and Desdemona’s elopement.
- Iago is Machiavellian
- Iago is manipulating Roderigo and tells Roderigo of his plans and thoughts as he does not consider him as a threat due to his stupidity.
- Cassio helped Othello’s love affair stay hidden.
- Shakespeare sets all the ideas in place during the first scene.
Machiavellian – someone who is cunning, scheming and unscrupulous “the end justifies the means”
Hamartia – fatal flaw (Othello jealous)
Catharsis – the audience feeling pity
Allegorises – recognition/turning point (penny drops)
Peripeteia– sudden reversal of fortune
Hubris – excessive pride leading to an error
Blank verse – unrhymed…