Opposition came from a variety of areas motivated by a variety of concerns
1. ECONOMIC: tradesmen/merchants afraid of pope restricting trade
2. POLITICAL: opposition of some legislation--> undermining parliaments powers
3. RELIGIOUS: people were loyal to the pope
CARTHUSIANS (MONASTIC ORDER)
- had been spiritual advisers to both Henry VII and VIII
- strictest & holiest of monastic orders --> well respected.
- 5 carthusian monks refused to swear oath of succession
- Loyalty was sorely tested through extreme torture
- Excuted in extreme manner --> Henry used this to deter others from refusing to swear the oath; Severed heads on London Bridge served as a reminder for those who contemplated denying the oath.
ELIZABETH BARTON (HOLY MAIDE OF KENT)
- servant girl who suffered from visions after a fatal illness
- claimed that the visions told her that one must pray to the virgin Mary and follow the traditional teachings of the church
- Those who opposed…