The existence of God can be grasped just from the meaning of the word ‘God’
‘a priori analytic statement’
· God = that which nothing greater can be thought
· God exists in the mind (understanding)
· However, a greater being could be thought of (exists in mind + reality)
· Therefore in order to be the greatest being God must exist in reality also
· God exists is therefore an a priori analytic statement.
- God is a supremely perfect being (has all perfections)
- Existence is a perfection
- Therefore God must have existence
- Thinking of God without existence is like thinking of a mountain without a valley…existence is a necessary part of God’s essence.
- Either God exists or he does not exist
- God if He exists could never cease to exist – So if God exists His existence is necessary
- God if He…