Augustine (354 - 430BCE):
- The Book of Genesis states that God created the universe and everything in it.
- If a perfect God created everything in existence then it is impossible for evil to exist.
- Evil is not a substance, it is an absence of goodness.
- E.g. if someone is violent to someone else, then that action has resulted from an absence of kindness.
- God created a perfect world, Adam and Eve were made in God's likeness.
- The Fall of Man - Adam and Eve disobeyed God and that created sin/evil.
- God knew this would happen as he is omniscient.
- God chose not to stop it because we can't live in a world where humans are like 'perfect robots'.
- He gave humans free will so they could decide whether to obey Him or not.
- Without free will, God's creation would be mechanical, we must be free to choose.
- When people do wrong they punish themselves like Adam and Eve did.
- We all descended from Adam and Eve so we inherit their guilt and sin.
- God sent Jesus so that we can get close to God once again.
Ireneaus (c130 - 202):
- 'And now we will make human…
Similar Philosophy resources: