The Digestive System.
Balanced Diet: Diet that includes healthy, proportional amounts of food from each food group!
Digestion: The breaking of large, complex molecules into smaller molecules that the body can then use in respiration for energy!
The Main Food Groups are:
- Carbohydrates (Break down into sugar and starch. Used for energy)
- Fats (Used for insulation and for reserve energy stores)
- Fibre (Keep the intestines healthy. Help you go to the toilet)
- Minerals/Vitamins (Help the immune system, help muscle contractions)
- Proteins (Help with the growth and repair of cells) (1st Class- Meat, fish, eggs. 2nd Class- Nuts, fruit, vegatables "Don't contain all the essential Amino Acids")
Chemical Digestion: Digestive enzymes!
Physical Digestion: Chewing, peristalsis!
Proteins---> Proteases --->Amino Acids (Cannot be stored ->Liver->Urea->Kidneys/Urine)
Carbohydrates---> Carbohydrases --->Glucose (Stored in liver as Glycogen)
Fats---> Lipases --->Fatty Acids + Glycerol (Stored under skin/around organs
Kwashiorkor: A form of malnutrition when there isn't enough protein in the person's diet!
- Limited food supply
- Low levels of education/ No understanding of a proper diet
- Changes in skin pigment
- Decreased muscle mass
- Failure to gain weight and grow
- Change in colour of texture of hair
- Increased/More severe infections (Damaged immune system)
- Protruding belly
- Dermatitis (Rashes)
- Shock (Late stage)
- Edema (Swelling)
- Arterial blood gas
- Complete blood count
- Creatinine clearence
- Serum creatinine
- Serum potassium
- Total protein levels
Variations in diet: