Human activities that are destroying and degrading the marine ecosystems on a global scale:
· Anchor damage
· Water pollution
· Diving and tourism
· Coral for souvenirs
How has the global pattern of human use of coral reefs changed over the last 50 years?
· More boats and ships
· People purchasing souvenirs
· Overpopulation means waste goes into the reefs
· More deforestation results in siltation
· Sewage leaking into coral reefs causing eutrophication.
· Ocean Acidification(1/3 of human CO2 absorbedàincreasingly acidic threatening calcifying organisms. (coral reefs, but also crustaceans – the foundations of the food web)
· Ocean Warming and Coral Bleaching
· Sea Level Rise