Is eating nutrients from a variety of food groups, in the RIGHT AMOUNTS.
- 60% Carbohydrate. (possibly 70% for athletes)
- 30% Fat.
- 10% Protein.
Calories per Day
- non-athletes - 2000kcal
- athletes - 3000kcal
- They are the body's main energy source.
- Simple 'carbs' - broken down quickly and easily.
- Complex 'carbs' - take longer to break down, so provide sustained energy. (Better for athletes)
- Can be used as energy.
- Helps to absorb vitamins A, D, E and K.
- Used for growth and repair.
- High Biological Value (HBV) - contains ALL essential amino acids.
- Low Biological Value (LBV) - contains ONE OR MORE amino acis.
- Mixing LBV proteins supplies all amino acids and is known as protein complementing.
Energy Yield per Gram
- Carbohydrate - approx. 4.2 calories.
- Fat - approx. 9.5 calories.
- Protein - approx. 4.1 calories.
Glycaemic Index (GI)
- High GI foods - absorbed quickly.
- Low GI foods…