- DNA stands for Deoxyribonucleic Acid meaning 1 oxygen lost from a pentose sugar found in the nucleus and slightly acidic.
- Contains genetic information, codes for a specific sequence of amino acids.
- RNA is Ribonucleic acid that is used to make proteins and is copied form DNA because its too large to leave the nucleus. (RNA was thought to have come first and that DNA is just a major refinement).
Structure of DNA:
- A polynucleotide where one monomer consists of a deoxyribose sugar, a phosphate group and a nitrogenous organic base that are joined together by condensation bonds. The base is joined to Carbon 1 and the Phosphate group to Carbon 5.
- The complimentary base pairs (nitrogenous organic bases) are split into two types: Purines ('A' & 'G') and Pyrimidines ('T' & 'C'). Pyrimidines only bond with Purines. Pure and…