- NUCLEAR FUSION- the process in which two small nuclei release energy when they are fused together to form a single larger nucleus.
- fusion can occour by making the 2 light nuclei collide at very high speed.
- it releases energy only if the RELATIVE MASS of the nucleus is no more than 55- (about the same as an iron (Fe) nucleus)
- ENERGY MUST BE SUPPLIED TO CREATE BIGGER NUCLEI.
0 ------>00<-------- 0
In the Sun's Core
- Sun= about 75% hydrogen, 25% helium.
- the nuclei's in the sun are all positively charged- and because similar charges repel- it is difficult to get them to fuse together:
- but the sun's core can do this because:
- 1) a lot of HEAT:
contains a 'plasma' of bare nuclei with no electrons. so the nuclei move about and…