Nazi Germany - 1918 - 1939
Treaty of Versailles
- Forced on Germany after defeat in WW1 - 'Diktat'
- Blamed Germany for war - war guilt cause
- Made Germany pay reparations
- Reduced size of Germany military - 'disarmament clause'
- Germany lost colonies as well as land in Germany
- Germans HATED it
- Was exploited by Hitler in his rise to power
Weimar Constitution 1918-1933
- Rules by which Germany was governed after the war
- Germany had been a monarchy, was now a democracy, a system Germany was unfamiliar with.
- The system had weaknesses - Proportional Representation made it hard to achieve strong government because of too many political groups.
- Article 48 - allowed government to rule by decree in times of trouble - Exploite dby Hitler.
German Economy 1919-1923
- After the war Germany was in a real economic mess
- Between 1919 and 1923 inflation rose massively - HYPERINFLATION
- Unemployment rose, businesses collapsed, money was worthless, homelessness and poverty increased massively.
- Led to political division between left-wing communists - Sparticists, and right-wing nationalist groups - Freikorp, Nazis.
- Increased violence on the streets, attempts to overthrow the Weimar Republic by the Sparticists and others.
- 1923 Munich Putsch - attempted to overthrowing the government by the Nazis
- The political instability…