- Created by: karinamarch
- Created on: 27-11-17 19:33
CASE STUDY- CHILE EARTHQUAKE 27TH FEB 2010
PRIMARY EFFECTS: (the immediate impacts)
- Around 500 people killed and 12,000 people injured- in total 800,000 people affected.
- 220,000 homes, 4500 schools, 53 ports, 56 hospitals and other public buildings destroyed.
- Port of Talcahuanao and Santiago airport badly damaged
- Much of Chile lost power, water supplies and communications
- Cost of earthquake estimated at US$30 billion
SECONDARY EFFECTS: ( happen later on):
- 1500km of roads damaged, mainly by landslides- remote communities cut off for many days
- Several coastal towns devastated by tsunami waves
- Several pacific countries struck by tsunamis- warnings prevented loss…