The cells, tissues and organs in plants are adapted to take up and get rid of dissolved substances, Different conditions can affect the rate of transfer. Sometimes energy is needed for transfer to take place.
- Dissolved substances move by diffusion and by active transport.
- Water often moves across boundaries by osmosis.
- Osmosis is the diffusion of water from a dilute to a more concentrated solution through a partially permeable membrane that allows the passage of water molecules.
- Differences in concentrations of the solutions inside and outside the cell cause water to move into or out of the cell by osmosis.
- Sports drinks contain sugars to replace the sugars used in energy release during the activity. They also…