Early Southern Campaigns, 1955-62
Montgomery Bus Boycott 1955-1956
Montgomery is in Alabama- a Southern state with widespread segregation
· buses had first few rows for whites and the back for blacks.
· If the bus was full, black people were expected to stand up so white people could sit down.
Dec 1st 1955
· Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat for a white man- she was arrested and fined $14
· A two pronged attack on Alabama segregation laws was established
1. NAACP mounted a legal case to challenge segregation laws
2. Black people of Montgomery began a campaign of direct action targeting local bus companies
What happened in the boycott?
· It was non violent – worked through black churches & tied in with MLK’s philosophy.
· Its aim was to coordinate a boycott of Montgomery buses until segregation was abolished.
· The MIA was established under MLK.
· It began…