There are two types of cell division:
- Mitosis is used for growth and repair and produces diploid cells identical to each other and the parent cell.
- Meiosis is used for sexual reproduction and produces haploid cells different to each other and the parent cell.
Humans are made of millions of cells. This has a number of benefits:
- Cells can be specialised to do particular tasks
- Groups of cells can function as organs making a more efficient but complex organism
- The organism can grow very large.
New cells are needed throughout life. These are for growth, to replace damaged cells and repair worn out tissues. Normal human body cells are diploid – they have two of each chromosome. When new cells are made, these 46 chromosomes (in other organisms the number is different) are copied exactly in a process called mitosis.
Mitosis is the type of cell division used for growth, repair and asexual reproduction. Mitosis occurs wherever new cells are needed. It…