Milgram wanted to test the idea that the German people were somehow different when they carried out the orders to exterminate the Jewish population. To see if they were different, Milgram aimed to test how far would ordinary people go if ordered to adminster, what they thought to be, lethal electric shocks to another human being.
- 40 male participants gathered by a volunteer sample via a newspaper ad that promised payment.
- Participants were all aged between the ages of 18 and 70.
- In the experiment itself, there was the researcher, the participant and a confederate.
- Took place at Yale university in lab conditions.
- Participants were told it was a experiment that was investigating the effects of punishment on…