- Created by: juliaratajczak
- Created on: 22-04-20 15:24
Location: Archaeological Museum of Palermo
Purpose and positioning:
- Doric temple, originally 10 metopes on facade of temple. Similar to Artemis central space of pediment occupied by enormous gorgon head.
- Carved in relief, sculptures attached to background in low relief project slightly from background. Flat pattern, NO 3D.
- Narrative: Herakles and the Kerkopes
- Central moment of myth: Herakles fell asleep, 2 mischievous Kerkopes stole his weapons. Woke up, caught them and punished them, tied upside down to a pole and carried on shoulders. From Kerkopes vantage point had view of Herakles hairy bottom, amused him and let them go.
- Well constructed design— based on play of symmetrical forms, large and small eg. arms, faces, hair carefully arranged to form a symmetrical composition.
- Lack of facial expression
Numerous features of style and composition that reflect Archaic period.
- Prime example of experimentation in Archaic period, mixture of views. Herakles face and torso frontal, body twisted somewhat unnaturally so…