- Created by: Max123
- Created on: 18-03-13 20:56
Meiosis occurs in the ovaries and testes of animals, and the ovaries and anthers of flowering plants.
Meiosis has two important roles in biology:
1. It results in haploid cells, which are necessary to maintain the diploid number after fertilisation.
2. It helps to create genetic variation among offspring.
Gamete production by meiosis:
1. The DNA replicates so there are two identical copies of each chromosome, called chromatids.
2. The DNA condenses to form double armed chromosomes, made from two sister chromatids.