Meditation III – of God; that he exists
- A cause must be up to its effect, either eminently or formally. For instance something cannot cause heat if it is not hot etc.
- There are two different realities, firstly we have REPRESENTATIONAL REALITY* which are ideas in the mind
- Secondly, we have FORMAL REALITY which are actual things
- These can be ranked in an order such as ‘God -> Human -> Tree’
- Since the cause must be up to the effect and humans are finite, and we have the idea of God within us who is infinite and we could not have caused him – that clearly this…