Connections in Greek and Roman Medicine
- Greek doctors, they were unpopular because they were foreign and some were jealous of their skills.
- The main medical books in Rome were written by Hippocrates and his followers who were all Greek
- The Romans took over universities and libraries at Alexandria, it was the centre of medical learning.
- Romans were very wealthy.
- People of the Roman Empire were taxed.
- It was a slave owning society.
- Noticed that bad smells, unclean drinking water, sewage, swamps and dirt made people become ill.
- They build aqueducts to carry clean water into cities.
- They also built public baths, toilets and sewers to remove waste.
- Ideas about public health spread around their huge empire.