- Created by: GeorgeSmith99
- Created on: 28-05-15 17:03
What led to the setting up of the NHS in 1948?
- The increase in who could vote (after women won the vote; 1918) meant the government was more concerned about how poorer people could get health care
- WW2 - many were shocked by the poverty of some of the evacuees they looked after. War highlighted social inequality, which people wanted to change
- 1942 - Beveridge Report: disease as 1 of 5 major problems in British society
- Mid-20th century - accepted that government should involve itself in people's lives
- The national Emergency Medical Service during WW2 gave free treatment, proving…