Public Health Act, 1948
- Set up a General Board of Health with Chadwick as 1 of 3 commisioners.
- The Act allowed, but did not force, town councils to
- - set up their own local Board of Health
- - appoint a local medical officer
- - organise the removal of rubbish
- - build a sewer system
- Only 1/3 of towns set up a Board of Health - fewer appointed a medical officer
- The Act was only temporary - the General Board of Health was abolished in 1858
- Had a theory that cholera was spread through water, not "bad air"
- When cholera broke out again in 1854 he …