FACTORS THAT HELPED THE DEVELOPMENT OF MEDICINE:
- invention of the printing press seeded up the spread of new 'renaissance ideas'
- Medical journals such as 'the lancet' allowed scientists to share and develop ideas
Science and Technology:
- Industrial revolution allowed scientists to use microscopes
- Chemicals developed
- Wilhelm Roentgen discovered xrays in 1895
- Surgical technology and scientific progress allowed for the first heart transplant operation by Christian Barnard in 1967
- War wounds gave Pare the opportunities to develop a soothing lotion which replaced cauterisation, artificial limbs and surgical tools
- Crimean war Florence Nightingale the opportunity to conduct her work
- Franco-Prussian war 1871 helped there rivalry between Pasteur and Koch. Both men's work were fuelled by nationalist pride.
- WW1 (1914-18) Landsteiner's work on blood groups and transfusions
- WW2 helped to develop penicillin (mass produced in 1942 as a response to the demand created by casualties of war) also helped yo develop plastic surgery
- French and German governments helped Pasteur and Koch
- Liberal Government in Britain (1906-16)
- British and…