- Created by: Eleanor Simpson
- Created on: 14-05-16 12:48
Mathematical models in probability and statistics
- Understand the process of mathematical modelling
- Know the stages of the modelling process
- Be able to discuss whether or not assumptions are reasonable
A mathematical model is a simplification of a real world situation. It can be used to make predictions about a real world problem. By analysing the model an improved understanding of the situation may be obtained.
The model will aim to incorporate some but not all the features of the real situation. Certain assumptions have to be made, and these may mean that the model does not share all the features of the real situation.