- Created by: themoderrnage
- Created on: 28-04-21 10:05
What is Material Deprivation?
- Inability to afford basic resources that impacts on a child's educational achievement.
- Douglas (1964): 'Home and the School', material deprivation has a cumulative effect on achievement.
Who Suffers from Material Deprivation?
- Measurement for material deprivation is usually receipt of free school meals.
- Social Metrics Commission: 4.6 million children are living in poverty in the UK and only 13.6% claim FSM.
- Child Poverty Action Group: 45% of children in minority ethnic families in poverty.
- White and mixed ethnicity students on FSM make less progress in secondary school than their non-FSM peers.