- Created by: Clorebeccaa
- Created on: 03-03-16 11:58
TOPIC 2: MARXIST THEORIES OF RELIGION
Society – two classes - bourgeoisie and proletariat.
· Religion is a justification of inequality and suffering.
· Religion distorts perceptions of reliability to benefit the ruling class.
· Creates false consciousness therefore preventing revolution. For example the Christian bible says that a camel has more chance of going through the eye of a needle, than a rich man has of getting into heaven.
· Makes ruling class position in society predetermined. For example the Hindu caste system, it suggests status is determined by the rules they follow which relate to impurity/purity and social contact. If a person abides by the rules, their social standing will be increased in their next life.
· Religion legitimises the power and privilege of the dominant class by making their position appear to be divinely ordained. For example in Christianity the pope is seen to be God’s word on earth, and in Ancient Egypt- Pharos were seen to be god themselves.
· Lenin describes…