Marxism and the Family!
- Sees the family as part of the framework that supports capitalism.
- Argues the nuclear family is teaching its members to submit to the capitalist class, also known as the bourgeoisie or ruling class.
How does the family support capitalism?
- Reproduces and socialises the next generation of workers to accept the inequalities of capitalist society.
- Reproduces labour power.
- Consumes the products of capitalism.
- Provides emotional relief/support for the workers so they can cope with the harsh realities of capitalism and don't overthrow the ruling class.
- Believed the bourgeoisie monogamous nuclear family developed to solve the problem…