Marriage and the family
Changing attitudes to marriage and family life
Civil partnership- a legal ceremony giving a homosexual couplde the same legal rights as husband and wife.
Cohabitation-living together without being married.
Nuclear faily- mother, father and children living as a unit.
Re-constituted family- where two sets of children(step- brothers and step-sisters become one family when their divorced parents marry each other.
How attitudes have changed
- Most people now have sex before they get married
- It is not acceptable to live together(cohabit) rather than marry and a greater percentage will do so.
- The average age for marrying has increased dramatically.
- Only a minority of marriages now take place in church.
- Divorce is accpeted as a normal part of life and there has been an increase.
- The extended family is becoming more popular as more mothers are in paid employment and use retired grandparents to look…