Calling of the first Disciples. Main points.
- Jesus went to the sea of Galilee
- He saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the sea (they were fishermen)
- Jesus said “ come follow me and I will make you fishers of men”
- They dropped their nets and followed him.”
- When Jesus went a little further he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother Andrew
- Without delay he called them and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him.
Another account of Jesus choosing one of his disciples
- Jesus was out beside the lake, a large crowd came to him and he began to teach them.
- He saw Levi the tax collector “follow me,” Jesus told him and he got up and followed him.
- When Jesus was having dinner at Levis house many tax collectors and sinners were eating with him and his disciples.
- When the Pharisees saw him eating with the sinners they asked his disciples “why does he eat with sinners”
- When Jesus heard this he said “it is not the healthy that need the doctor but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”
Why is it important for Christian today?
Obedience is required
The stories show Christians that Jesus demanded absolute obedience and commitment. E.g. when he asks the first disciples to follow him they drop everything and obeyed him.
Jesus was clearly a special person to have this sort of influence over the disciples. The stories show these men walking away from their life (family and jobs)
The job Jesus required
When he recruited the fishermen Jesus told them their new role was to be “fisher of men” he wanted his followers to focus on gathering people rather than fish. The disciples would be spreading the message of god.
Sending out of the twelve disciples. Main points;
- Jesus went around teaching from village to village.
- Calling the twelve he sent them out two by two.
- He gave them instruction which were: take nothing for the journey except a staff – no bread, no bag, and no money.
- Wear sandals but not an extra tunic.
- Whenever you enter a house stay there until you leave that town
- If any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake them dust off your feet as a testimony against them,”
- They went out and preached that people should repent. They drove out many demons and anointed many sick people with oil and healed them.
What does this mean for Christians today?
The instructions that Jesus gave to his disciples is relevant for Christians today that go out on missionary work, as they…