- Created by: Patrick
- Created on: 31-05-11 20:05
Who Mark was, and sources of the Gospel
Who is Mark?
· Mark wrote his Gospel in 64AD, Rome, Italy.
· He was a friend of Peter, and knew Paul.
· He could be John Mark.
· He wrote the Gospel to provide early Christians a guide for living, and giving hope to a persecuted Church.
· Well educated, and knew Greek.
Sources of the Gospel
· Peter gave Mark eye witness detail.
· Oral Tradition: Other disciples told Mark verbally
· Mark read many documents, such as Document Q, or the passion narratives
· Divine encounter with God, who told him everything
Who read the Gospel, and how it is used today
Who read Mark's Gospel?
· Jesus 30AD: Jesus mainly spoke to Jewish audiences, with some Gentiles, who were all being persecuted by the Romans in 30AD
· Mark's Rome 64AD: Mark lived in Rome in 64AD. He was in a Christian community, who were being persecuted by the Romans (they were falsely blamed for starting the fire that destroyed Rome.
How is the Gospel used today?
· There are many Christians who are persecuted, in places such as Latin America. The Gospel would make them feel empowered. It's a Gospel of hope in the face of terror.
· Although there are Christians who aren't persecuted or tortured, they are exposed to the pressures of…