Maintaining Body Temperature – Endotherms
· Internal sources of heat to maintain body temp.
· Many chemical reactions – exergonic – release heat energy.
· Increase rate of respiration in liver to release heat – using energy intake for warmth
· Use behavioural (e.g. basking in sun) /physiological (e.g. redirecting blood away from skin) too.
· Constant body temp. despite external
· Activity possible in cool temp. e.g. night/early morning/winter
· Can inhabit colder parts of planet.
· Lot of energy intake used for body temp. maintain in cold.
· More food needed
· Less energy for growth – more food needed to grow.
Temperature Regulation - Physiological
Sweat gland :
· secrete sweat » water evaporates…