- They are known as justices of the peace
- They are volunteers and unpaid
- They have to be intelligent, committed, show judicial aptitude and be reliable with good character.
- They must have common sense.
- Their main job is listening to summary cases which they decide and if guilty give out the sentences to the defendant.
summary - minor criminal offences such as common assault
- You can be appointed at 18 and you must retire at 70
- There is a blind magistrate but no deaf ones.
- Serious criminals cannot be magistrates as they could be biased. Also, if you are closely connected with someone who works in the police service or a traffic warden you would not be eligible for the position.