- "You're talking too much," said Jack Merridew. "Shut up, Fatty."
- Ralph: "There aren't any grown-ups. we shall have to look after ourselves."
- "His voice rose to a shriek of terror as Jack snatched the glasses off his face".
- Jack: "If I could only get a pig!"
- "He was a small, skinny boy, his chin pointed, and his eyes so bright they had decieved Ralph into thinking him delightfully gay and wicked."
- "The fire was right out, smokeless and dead; the watchers were gone."
- "Kill the pig, Cut her throat. Bash her in."
- Piggy: "I know there isn't no beast -not with claws and all that, I mean -but I know there isn't…