· Uses conch to control meetings
· Responsibility of looking after the survivors
> Uses conch to summon the survivors
> Builds a fire to help the boys get rescued
> Attempts to build shelters for the younger boys
> Raises issues to aid survival and rescue
> Shows courage exploring part of the island where the other boys think the beast might lurk
> Hunted by the savages and saved by the naval officer
“there was a mildness about his mouth and eyes that proclaimed no devil.”
- The description suggests that he has no hidden depths or unhealthy character traits.
“They’ll see our smoke”
- Ralph believes that rescue from the island is essential. His efforts are directed to keeping the fire going. He is annoyed when jack and the hunters allow it to go out.
“new understanding that Piggy had given him.”
- Ralph’s ability to think things through is attributed to Piggy, whose qualities Ralph begins to admire. Ralph listens to Piggy’s advice.
“Don’t you understand, Piggy? The things we did-”
- Only Ralph is able to come to terms with the reasons why Simon was killed. He is willing to share the blame and responsibility for Simon’s death. This shows his true leadership qualities.
1. Ralph is able to see the good in people and in the island;
2. He is easy to like and naturally at ease;
3. He is tall, blonde, good-looking and one of the older boys;
4. He is able to speak at meetings and he considers other people’s views;
5. He is a natural (democratic) leader.
· Leader of the choirboys (his hunters)
· Rival to Ralph
· Eventually declares himself chief
> Decides the choir will be hunters
> Snatches Piggy’s glasses to make the fire
> Kills a pig and organises a chant and dance to celebrate the pig’s death
> Jack has disregard for rules
> When Ralph is re-elected as chief, Jack runs off
> Jack becomes a cruel leader of his tribe
“This was the voice of one who knew his own mind.”
- This suggests that Jack is someone who does not want to obey.
Jack had a “compulsion to track down and kill that was swallowing him up.”
- Although Jack provides the boys with meat, he has an almost addictive urge to kill. He represents Man the…