What are lipids made from?
- Lipids are made from a variety of different components, but they all contain hydrocarbons.
- There are three types of lipids you need to know about.
- 1 molecule of Glycerol and three fatty acids
- The fatty acids are joined to the glycerol molecule by an ester bond.
- Fatty acid molecules have long hydrocarbon tails (hydrophobic) and glycerol heads (hydrophyllic).
- The tails are hydrophoic and this makes them insoluble in water.
- Energy storage- Tails contain lots of chemical energy (Twice as much as carbohydrates)
- Insoluble- Water does not enter cell by osmosis, the bundle together with the tails facing inwards and the heads on the outside.
- Same structure - Different tails