Yeats follows form of Italian sonnet - 8 lines and 6 lines - volta between 8th and 9th.
- sonnets usually about love, in iambic pentameter, 14 lines and rhyming cuplet.
- takes conventional form and makes it unconventional - v. eratic form.
Zeus turns himself into a swan to **** Leda - she gives birth to two daughters, Clytemnestra and Helen of Troy - cause war and death - but v. beautiful.
Mary also techically impregnated by God - gave birth to a son who brought peace and salvation - gyre theory.
"A sudden blow: the great wings beating still"
- sudden = reminiscent of Cold Heaven - more violent.
- caesura = seems harsher - backs up violence - broken and disjointed.
- begins with violence - blow= hitting her - horrible.
- great wings = he's very big - overpowering her - maginificent as well - GOD.
- beating still implies he has been beating her for a long time - more horrible.
- ejnambemtn onto next line.
"Above the staggering girl, her thighs caressed"
- staggering - hit her so hard that she staggers - can't run away - overpowered - staggering from fear.
- caressing thighs = sinister and horrible - just hit her and now caressing her.
- doesn't really love her clearly.
- enjambement again.
"By the dark webs, her nape…