(notes taken from the CGP revision guides)
- Reflex responses can be modified by the brain.
- In some cases it's possible to modify a natural reflex response. For example, when you pick up a hot object you'll want to drop it - this is a reflex response to protect your skin from damage. This reflex response can be modified. The response can be overridden by a neurone between the brain and the motor neurone of the reflex arc.
- Reflex responses can also be learned.
- A stimulus causes a particular reflex response, but animals can learn to produce the same response to a new stimulus.
- The new reflex is called a conditioned reflex.
- The best example of…
Similar Science resources: