Aims of the League of Nations - SIDE:
- Stop wars
- Improve living & working conditions across the world
- Encourage international trade.
- Based in Geneva, Switzerland.
- 42 members - main members, Britain, France, Japan
- Non members - USA, Russia, Germany.
- Germany not allowed to join.
- USA did not join as American people did not want to be involved in other countries' problems.
League consisted of:
- Assembly - met once a year
- Council - met regularly to consider crisises
- Secretariat - to handle paperwork
- Court of International Justice
- Committees including International Labour Committee and Health Organisation to carry out humanitarian work.
Four Main Powers:
- Covenant - all members promised to keep the peace
- Condemnation - the League could tell a country it was doing wrong
- Arbitration - the League could offer to decide between two countries
- Sanctions - trade
- Set up by Treaty of Versailles so agreed by all countries at the conference.
- Able to offer arbitration through Court of International Justice or impose sanctions.
- Set up by Treaty of Versailles - hated by all nations
- Germany, Russia and USA not members
- No army
- All decisions had to be unanimous
- Aaland Islands 1921 - traditionally belonged to Finland but islands' people wanted govenance by Sweden. Neither country could decide who owned the islands and…