- Music reflects the words of the poem - Harp glissandi is used (bar 4) to create a shimmering effect
- Bar 11 a gentler string timbre is introduced by the instruction 'sur la touche' (bow over the fingerboard)
- Mutes are used by both strings (e.g. bars 5-31), and horns (bars 31-36) for extended periods. This portrays a softness and connects to the poem.
- The tonality is hazy throughout with keys present but not defined in a 'traditional manner'
- In bar 105/106 a perfect cadence is present, clarifying…