Text Messaging and IM:
- Register is affected by audience, purpose, and context.
- Participants will use more letters than necessary to imitate prosodic features.
- Use of compressed text - vowel omission (pls), phonetic spelling (nite) acronyms (lol) letter/number homophones (GR8).
- Texts can be ambigous due to a lack of prosodic features.
- non standard spelling and punctuation (similar to speech).
- Ellipsis and Ellison.
- Usually informal.
- Schegloff theory - summons/answer => identification/recognition => greeting sequence => how are you sequence.
- Fillers used to keep turn.
- Turn taking.
- Overlapping can show enthusiasum or dominance.
- Contexts affects lexis.
- Formality affected by purpose of call.