- Heir to the Austrian throne Archduke Franz Ferdinand is shot by Gavril Princip, a member of the Serbian terrorist group, the Black Hand.
- Austrian diplomat, Count Hoyos, went to Berlin to obtain German support for action against Serbia --> The Kaiser and German government offered full support in what was known as 'The Blank Cheque'.
- 23rd - Austria issued Serbia and ultimatum. Serbia rejected the point that Austrian officials should take part in the Duke enquiry.
- 25th - Russia in favour of Serbia along with French support.
- 26th - Foreign Secretary Edward Grey proposed a conference to deal with the issue but Austria refused.
- 28th - Austria…