- 28th June: Assasination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand in Sarajevo by Gavril Princip.
- 5th July: Germany issues the blank cheque to Austria.
- 23rd July: Austria issues Serbia with an ultimatum. Serbia accepts most of the demands but rejects the one giving Austrian officials authority in Serbia. Austria rejects Serbia's reply.
- 25th July: Russia comes out in favour of Serbia, bolstered by French assurances of support.
- 26th July: Grey proposes a conference. Austria and Germany refuse to take part. From this point they are openly rejecting diplomatic alternatives.
- 27th July: the Kaiser returns from his annual cruise - shows the importance and urgency of the situation.
- 28th July: Austria declares war on…