- The aim was to investigate whether the stress of important exams had an effect on immune system functioning.
- Their procedure consisted of conducting a nautral experiment with a repeated measures design using 75 medical students.
- Blood samples were taken
a.) one month before final exam (low stress condition)
b.) during the exams (high stress condition)
- Assessment of immune system function was taken by measuring the T Cell activity in blood samples.
- Participants also completed questionnaires related to negative life events and feelings of loneliness.
- The results suggest that high stress condition T Cell activity was significantly reduced in comparison with the first low stress condition.
- T cell activity was most reduced in participants who reported negative life events and feelings of isolation.
- Research shows stress is associated with…