IVF: In vitro fertilisatio - Fertilisation outside of the body.
- Woman must take fertility medication to stimulate the ovaries to make more eggs than usual.
- When the eggs are ready, an operation is needed to get them out, called ‘egg retrieval’.
- Each egg is mixed with sperm (from partner or sperm bank).
- These egg and sperms are left for a few days in a test tube for the sperm to fertilise the eggs and form embryos.
- If fertilisation has occurred, then one or more of these are placed inside the woman’s uterus using a tool passing through…