Why did Italy invade Abyssinia?
- Revenge- previously failed to invade Abyssinia
- Abyssinia had rich & fertile land & mineral wealth
- Recovering from world economic depression
- Saw Manchuria--> league weak?
Excuse for invasion?
- Border dispute between Abyssinia & Italian Somaliland
- Haille Selasse appealed to league
- Mussolini negotiated with league
What did league do?
- At first Britain & France failed to take situation seriously as they wanted to keep good relations with Italy from the Stresa Pact.
- After 8 months league decided…