Do the media create, lead, distort or follow public opinion?
- Newspapers, particularly tabloids, and Internet bloggers ofter campaign for certain issues or promote a viewpoint
- The Sun or The Daily Mail often criticise immigrants arriving in the UK
- The Guardian and The Independent often oppose discrimination and promote social reform proposals
- The Times and The Daily Telegraph generally highlight the flaws in UK relations with Europe
- Sometimes, the media exaggerate the dangers presented by certain members of our community (e.g. immigrants, or 'hoodies')- in which most of them are law- abiding citizens
- If a particular group commits arson or murdur to someone else, the media might exaggerate this and turn it into a 'massive issue', causing everyone to panic and feel that that group…