- Created by: morganlocky
- Created on: 19-01-15 14:05
- Functionalist sociologist.
- Conducted a study in 1949 to discover if the family was universal.
- He concluded that the family especially the nuclear family was prevalent in all societies.
- I.e. the family was universal.
- The family is essential for the maintenance and well being of society.
- Only the nuclear family could adequately perform four functions that society needs to function:
- Primary socialization
Other supporters of Murdock's view
- The nuclear family has naturally evolved over to be the most successful type of family in society today.